Topic: Meanwhile in Georgia

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
So there was an anti-homophobia rally scheduled today in the capital of the Republic of Georgia where I am working.
My organisation was sending some observers because there was talk of an anti-gay rally being organised by priests of the church here.
Afew hours before the time of the rally a large group of clergy and followers walked down the main street and stopped right outside our office and informed us that we were enemies of Georgia and our organisation will be destroyed.

About an hour later I walked towards the area where the anti-homophobia people were forming up I saw the biggest mass of police I have ever seen in my life.
They were standing in-front of a crowd of thousands of people standing with priests in their cloaks holding anti-gay signs.
After getting permission from of the rally organisers the police let me and my group pass from the anti-gay section into the anti-homophobia section and then 10 minutes later this happened.....

Apparently the windows of the bus in the video got smashed and the people inside got hurt.

I ended up having to run and hide inside a mobile phone store as the angry mob tried to attack anyone supporting 'the gays'.
I am back at work now with the mob is still walking around the main streets chanting bigoted shit.

Very depressing.
Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:43:42 pm by Bell

Posted: May 17, 2013, 10:34:32 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
fuck man, glad you're safe.

Stand up to that, but keep safe fella.

Reply #1 Posted: May 17, 2013, 10:49:30 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Christians they are just so peaceful...

Reply #2 Posted: May 17, 2013, 11:02:09 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted

Reply #3 Posted: May 17, 2013, 11:23:18 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
WTF! Osama's alive?!?!?

But seriously, WTF?

Reply #4 Posted: May 18, 2013, 12:21:29 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
I wonder if 'Murica will look at this and realise they are no better than a bunch of crazy Osama Bin Laden lookalikes in some terrorist country.

Reply #5 Posted: May 18, 2013, 12:43:34 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted

* crazy old ladies with 'nettle' who say when they find the gays they will hit them with it and it will cure them

Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:07:42 am by Bell

Reply #6 Posted: May 18, 2013, 01:56:41 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: BerG;1525456
I wonder if 'Murica will look at this and realise they are no better than a bunch of crazy Osama Bin Laden lookalikes in some terrorist country.

Yea it's a great rebuttal to the whole "Muslims are inherently violent and Christians aren't"

Reply #7 Posted: May 18, 2013, 02:10:25 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Great write-up...

A raging mob in Tbilisi chased away a downtown rally designed to commemorate the May 17 International Day against Homophobia. “Kill them! Tear them to pieces!” yelled the agitated crowd as police struggled to evacuate a handful of gay-rights supporters from the Georgian capital's central Freedom Square.

It was a scene of medieval mob violence, as thousands of Georgians -- mostly young men, but also robed priests and women in headscarves -- stormed through a police cordon and went pursuing the activists. “Where are they? Don’t let them leave alive!” screamed frenzied men, as they took over the square, outnumbering and overpowering police troops.

Police barely managed to herd some of the LGBT activists into municipal buses, before angry protesters surrounded the vehicles. The crowd hit, threw stones and followed the buses as they pushed their way out of the square.

The pursuit continued on the side streets. Just outside the square, a mob tried to storm a house, where several gay rights activists had sought refuge. “Drag them out, stomp them to death,” screamed one woman as  she tried to push her way through a group of policemen, who wrestled with the mob at the entrance of the house.

Youngsters swore, beat and threw various objects at police officers, who eventually pulled the activists into a car. A stampede occurred as the mob tried to chase the car down the narrow street, with some falling into ditches.

At the different corner of the downtown, several activists sought asylum in a grocery store and police managed to fight off the mob that tried to break into the shop.

Very few civilians dared to speak against the violence. “Look at yourselves! You call yourselves Christians?” objected one elderly woman in tears, speaking from a balcony. “Go ahead, kill everyone you are told to hate in the name of God and national values.”  

Government officials from both the ruling Georgian Dream and President Mikheil Saakashvili's minority National Movement condemned the violence and blamed each other's policies for it.

“Both groups have a full right to hold peaceful rallies. Violence is unacceptable,” said Justice Minister Tea Tsulukuani.

Appearing on Rustavi2 television, senior National Movement parliamentarian Gigi Tsereteli called the violence "anarchy," and noted that "This is not the state we were building . . ."

On the eve of the clash, the highly revered leader of the Georgian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Ilia II, called on the city government not to allow an LGBT demonstration in Tbilisi.

The patriarch also urged restrained conduct, but gay-rights activists claim that the church fomented the display of violence by speaking out against the rally.

In what some participants described as a voluntary initiative, gay-rights opponents, led by priests, gathered in the morning of May 17 and marched toward Freedom Square with posters like “Stop Promoting Homosexuality in Georgia” and “Homophobia is the Worst Sin.” Parish women held strands of nettle in their hands.

“Nettle has curative properties,” one woman commented to EurasiaNet.org. “A few hits in the right place and it will kick those demented thoughts out of their heads.”

As the rally degenerated into violence, protesters screamed verbal abuse at Georgia’s National Ombudsman Ucha Nanuashvili and a US embassy official, who also showed up at the demonstration.

Brawls broke out in several parts of town and dozens were hospitalized. The tensions that continued for hours steamed off after the church called on the believers to relocate to the city’s main cathedral, Holy Trinity.

Prime Minister Bidzina Ivanishvili earlier had emphasized that sexual minorities have equal rights with other Georgians under the law, adding that "Society will get used to it." So far, it doesn't look like it has.
Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 02:46:31 am by Bell

Reply #8 Posted: May 18, 2013, 02:34:39 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Crazy.

I'm counting a lot of people in those photos wearing clothes of mixed fabric. Fucking sinners.

They all need to go find a nice hobby to keep them occupied.

Reply #9 Posted: May 18, 2013, 08:58:57 am

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Fucking get a hobby or a real job or something. What an amazing waste of time and energy

*directed at the homophobes of course*

Reply #10 Posted: May 18, 2013, 10:16:33 am
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Orthodox. So Intense.

Reply #11 Posted: May 18, 2013, 10:30:44 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
  • PrinceTuiTeka has no influence.
Wow man, some nice images in there. Well, I say nice, but I guess I mean powerful.

Reply #12 Posted: May 18, 2013, 11:08:50 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1525459
Yea it's a great rebuttal to the whole "Muslims are inherently violent and Christians aren't"

God works in mysterious ways.

Reply #13 Posted: May 18, 2013, 03:56:06 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
:hopelessness:

^ The only response I can muster.

Reply #14 Posted: May 18, 2013, 05:59:34 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I lost my shit at a street preacher/Conman in Manchester City - he was spouting off that Atheism is a False God. Atheism is the belief of no Gods/God doesn't exist.

So I started Heckling him - if I had more time I would have destroyed him in a verbal battle

Reply #15 Posted: May 18, 2013, 07:15:26 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Or strangled him with your hair?

Reply #16 Posted: May 18, 2013, 07:53:40 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pitchey;1525485
Or strangled him with your hair?

Nope - the Religous have a nasty habit of Matyring people.....

Reply #17 Posted: May 18, 2013, 07:57:26 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Pretty much any religiion is batshit crazy and most of them are violent if you ask me.. muslims do not have a monopoly on that shit.

Reply #18 Posted: May 18, 2013, 10:29:37 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Here is me and my group i'm the dude at the front with the camera wrapped around my hand.
My college has a leg that doesn't work so well so we couldn't really run.

Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:16:28 pm by Bell

Reply #19 Posted: May 20, 2013, 09:14:08 pm

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
excuse my ignorance but were you guys just trying to get the fuck out? The buses at the end, were they there to ferry you guys to a safer spot?
I know its an old saying but why can't we all just get along.

Reply #20 Posted: May 20, 2013, 09:28:54 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Yes we were trying to get the fuck out.
And yes those were emergency evacuation buses, the fact that the police were so prepared for an evacuation is good but also interesting since I think they knew that wouldn't be holding back the angry mob for long.
Here is what happened inside one of those buses which I am glad we didn't get on.

Reply #21 Posted: May 20, 2013, 09:34:17 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Thanks for this thread Bell! Makes me glad to be living here.

Lovely to see men of god behaving so outstandingly.

Puts this in perspective  http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8695515/Lesbian-bed-ban-sparks-threats-and-abuse

Reply #22 Posted: May 21, 2013, 01:55:15 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
  • O-L-W-A-G has no influence.

Reply #23 Posted: May 21, 2013, 05:34:58 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: O-L-W-A-G;1525634
Both sides are as bad as each other

Haha, can you explain that reasoning?

Reply #24 Posted: May 21, 2013, 05:51:37 pm